Optimizing Regional Opportunities for Business Excellence through Science, Technology, and Innovation (OROBEST Innovation) Program
Optimizing Regional Opportunities for Business Excellence through Science, Technology, and Innovation OROBEST Innovation is a regional program that enhances industry productivity and competitiveness through the generation and adoption of scientifically-developed technologies. It is initiated by the Department of Science and Technology and the Oro Chamber in partnership with the Department of Trade and Industry, USAID Science, Technology, Research, and Innovation for Development (STRIDE), the Higher education Institutions (HEIs), and the micro and small industries in Region 10.
While business is referred to as the engine of economic growth, Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) is the engine of business competitiveness and growth. However, the World Competitiveness Report shows the Philippines lags behind in innovation. There is an apparent industry gap in the commercialization of local researches. On the demand side, there is a need to enhance the absorptive capacity of businesses and enterprises for innovation. On the supply side, there is a need to further enhance demand-driven researches and development agenda towards the formulation of supportive policies and development of technologies for productivity improvement and competitiveness. Hopefully, a seamless link from concept development to technology adoption and commercialization will be developed and sustained.
1. Level–off the appreciation of innovation and encourage innovation as a mindset.
2. Formulate a more responsive, demand-driven research, and development that will become the basis of technology development of publicly – funded RDIs.
3. Develop technology packages that are easily comprehensible by business for more informed investment decisions.
4. Support new entrepreneurs through a start-up program that will mainstream them into the business sector and become active chamber members.
5. Promote a more inclusive innovation and business growth by engaging the rural communities.